Feb 18, 2008

intelligent conversation.

One of my jobs is at MSSU. To be able to support myself i have 3 part time jobs. The total hours between all of them are 32. ohh wait, i dont work on wed nights any more so its really starting this week only 27. yes! ahh freedom.

any way

So one of my jobs is here at MSSU. and on monday mornings i tutor spanish for students that are taking spanish classes here. For the 300level conversation the class is requiered to have 5 hours a month of conversation tutoring so as to encourage them to actually TALK more. This morning i had a group of two girls come in to practise their "impromptu" conversation with me and make sure they were saying everthing correctly.

I was sitting there, for an hour, bored out of my mind because the best original conversation they could come up with was "lets talk about getting ready for a party". and the conversation went something like this:

-"hello"

-'hey, how are you?"

-"Im good. you look cute, is that what you are wearing to the party".

-"yes it is, is your boyfriend coming to the party? "

-"no, he has to work out in the morning. he works out a lot."

-"ohh, so where is the party".

-"its at such and such a place".

-"oh, what are you taking in your purse"

-"well im only taking my ID".

-"what about you?"

-"well i dont take a purse because ill loose it, so i just take my ID and my cellphone".

-"Blah"

-"blah blah"



now you can begin to understand my pain after just reading a few seconds of the conversation. well just imagine it continuing for an hour.



after they left i had about 15 min with no one around. and then walks in THOM (el guapo esposo de mi hermana)

and i was honestly refreshed by his choice of topic for his conversation:



CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.



now, thats a conversation worth having. it wasnt anything extraordinary once it got started. Thom knows some facts to back up his argument, and i helped him with the words he didnt know.

The thing that i came away with from his choice. is that it is very simple to create excelence and maturity in what you do. you just simply have to take moments in life and choose to talk about something that will make a difference, something that has value, something that will inspire others.

because i believe that Thom is aware of how simple it is to have intelect involved in life, i believe that it is why he chooses to have "practice" conversations about something that actually matters.



my challege, can I in my daily comings and going choose to have more substance to what i think and what i talk about in my real conversations? if Thom can do it "practise" ones, then maybe i can in "real" ones
"learn something kids"

No comments: